Tuesday, May 13, 2008

SCOPE's Summer Concert Experiences: Entry #1




Throughout the summer many Think Tank members will be attending concerts so make this your source for concert reviews and listen to the SCOPE of the Scene's knowledgeable staff whether or not to see the band live or just skip it.


Last night at the teen filled House of Bricks in Des Moines I saw two of my favorite bands, The Cab and headliner Metro Station. Since they are the reason I went, I will focus on them and not the so-so others (The Maine, Danger: Radio, and Forever the Sickest Kids) even though I enjoy abbreviating FTSK.


The Cab was the first opener and like I've seen them do before, they completely stole the show and rocked the house. Unfortunately they only played a 20 minute set, however it consisted of all my favorites (Risky Business, Bounce, That 70's Song, Can You Keep a Secret?, I'll Run, and Take My Hand) minus their collaborative single "One of THOSE nights" (which they also didn't play last time I saw them a month ago, so don't expect to hear it if you see them). The lead singer Alex was great as usual, and I even got my picture with him at the bar. (see below)

Now onto a more depressing matter: Metro Station. Let me preface this by saying that MS is one of the bands that has been in heavy rotation on my iPod for awhile and occupies several spaces on my iTunes top 25. That being said, I was not impressed by them at all. Mason Musso (Yes, brother to Hannah Montana's Mitchell Musso) is lead vocals on a normal night, however tonight he was "sick." In this regard, he said he needed the audience to help him out and sing. Sounds fine, right? Only until you realize its not just help, its the audience actually being the only ones singing along with the band's instruments the whole time! Highly disappointing and not worth the ticket fee. Trace Cyrus (Yes, brother to tween superstar Miley Cyrus) tried to make up for Musso's poor health but was vocally lackluster. Also about 6-8 times either Trace or Mason knocked the mic stand over, prompting the stagehands to rush on stage and help, which is something that hadn't happened with any of the previous 4 bands! They also refused to play their first single and my old ringtone, "Kelsey," cutting their show to a measly 30 minutes...as headliner! Needless to say I was bummed. Even the ever-enthusiastic teen crowd lost steam with the band's cold performance. If you are another MS fan out there, do yourself a favor and stick to the CD and avoid the concert.


See them: The Cab


Skip them: Metro Station

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

FTSK stole the show!

The Metro Station sucked
and The Cab was above average

But really the co-headline should have just been given to FTSK especially in the event of an illness

Theodore Lockhart said...

it looks like the cab just signed a deal with EMI.

good call clark!

alissa marie said...

things i love: clark. i also love metro via cd and myspace. and i am sorry for you to have to be disappointed. im gonna start my cab obsession now.