Thursday, June 26, 2008

Shocker

Not to bombard you with Sigur Ros posts or anything (I'm going to start getting attacked like the previous John Mayer posters)...In this article published by the Gazette in Montreal, the author T'cha Dunlevy compares Sigur Ros' new album to Coldplay

whhaaaa!?

Although Sigur Ros is still kept in the light, I am slightly offended by this comparison as a whole. Not to dis Coldplay, I have never been a huge fan, but I respect the band and the people who are fans, I just feel like Sigur Ros' music should be considered on a different level all-together. Their music is an unearthly experience, while Coldplay strings together cute lyrics in a slow pop rock melody to create catchy tunes. I can see how this can be effective, as I'm a huge sucker for horrible yet catchy music, but for these two drastically different bands to be compared as even slightly similar is something else. Thankfully only the first few paragraphs are about this, as it then goes on to reveal the drastic changes Sigur Ros has made in their music on this new album. I downloaded it from iTunes this morning, and I couldn't be happier with 1. the album as a whole, and 2. the change in their sound since the last album. 

Maybe an album review later on, if you're not sick of me yet.

EDIT: I don't mean to be hating on Coldplay. My disdain probably stems from my freshman year sitting in Hillcrest Marketplace trying to enjoy my meals while some Coldplay-obsessed worker got a hold of the sound system and put Yellow on repeat for more than a month. Enough said?

No comments: