Friday, August 8, 2008

I fell in love last night.


And it was with the band Lady Antebellum. I was lucky enough to see them FREE at the Iowa State Fair last night and, wow, did they deliver. Let me just start rambling about how great they were. It literally was a perfect performance, so if any of you get a chance to see them (country fans or not) then I 100% suggest it (they even admitted it was one of their best shows ever). 

First of all, the lead singer Charles Kelley (brother to musician Josh and then obviously brother in law to Grey's Anatomy star, Katherine Hiegl) has by far one of the best voices in country music IMHO. His tenor just exudes confidence and raspiness. Next Hillary, the other c0-lead vocalist, blew me out of the water. I would say she is comparable to peer Miranda Lambert, except even better. Her voice (if possible) was better than the recording. Yeah, I know. And my favorite little third wheel, Dave, was just chillen the most and loving life as the guitar-playin member who was constantly being made fun of for wearing a stylish vest (reminiscent of something taken out of the Kelly Logue collection) prompting Hillary and Charles to quip that he is "the lost Jonas Brother," something I did not have a problem with ;) 

One of the most exciting parts of the concert was witnessing Charles and Hillary's on-stage chemistry. The sexual tension was through the roof!! Loved every minute of it. Besides that, the group had amazing stage presence and had the perfect balance of country/rock, singing/talking with the audience, having fun with upbeat tunes/being serous on ballads, and any other combination that would result in this being a top 5 concert for me. And one  of the best parts for me (yes, there were a lot) was discovering that my favorite song ("All We'd Ever Need") was Charles' favorite and the first one the group wrote together. I love finding out facts like that. Their excellent and strategic cover of "Freefallin'" won me over as well. This concert has literally made me like them more, if that's even possible. 

As their website puts it, "Lady Antebellum offers a combination that’s both shockingly fresh and as familiar as an old friend." I agree completely. 

Do yourself a favor and either check out their album or see them live if given the chance. 

1 comment:

iLOVEMYLiFE said...

they were at summerfest and i was lucky to pass by their set! it was sweet. wish i coulda seen them longer...
they are definately very good live.