Tuesday, January 29, 2008

"Where have I heard that song?"


Ok I admit, unlike most people who change the channel at the beginning of a commercial break, I change it when a show returns... in order to watch more commercials. So if your interests lead you to do the same, you'll appreciate the following:
With regards to the popularity of signing mucisians for ad campaigns, it first seemed as though several major corporations/ products/ services, etc. were simply taking advantage of the established fan bases and exclusive niches of pop artists (like Bob Dylan for Victoria Secret and Oasis for Blue Cross Blue Shield). BUT more recently, I think many would agree that 30 second ad spots are doing more than just turning heads with new, upbeat, head-bopping, foot-tapping, bed-jumping(eh maybe), and all-together JAMMMMMIN singles...They're creating ginormous brand recongnition for new artists and selling major hits. For example, after seeing the first commercial- of I hope many more to come- of Kleenex's "Let it out" campaign, I was in my iTunes music store searching the artist faster than I can say supercalifragilisticexpealadocious. I spent a grand total of $9.99 on Starrfadu's "A Narrow Road to Silence" album, which of course included "Let it out". Totally worth it. I secretly wish I was the genious in the ad industry who came up with a way to sell products AND music in 30 seconds. So, for all of you who have not performed "artist" searches after seeing or hearing a kick ass commercial, here is a list of where you heard that song you love (slash) my favorite commercials featuring the musical talents of phenominal old and new artists.

For Apple iPod alone, my tops:
"New Soul" / Yael Naim...... this is the new Macbook Air ad, LOVE IT!
"Jerk it Out" / Caesars
"Flathead" / The Fratellis
"Music Is My Hot, Hot Sex" / CSS
"1234"/ Feist
"Walkie Talkie Man" / Steriogram

Random favorites:
Geico- "Remind Me" / Royksopp
Kia Spectra- "Can’t Get it Right Today" / Joe Purdy
Levi’s- "Walk the line" / Johnny Cash
VW Jetta- "Molly’s Chambers" / Kings of Leon
Jeep Liberty- "Rock Me Gently" / Ron Dante
Kleenex- "Let It Out" / Starrfadu

No comments: