Monday, January 28, 2008

"I wondered what if my name had changed into something more productive like Roscoe"


Beginning as a jazz band from The University of North Texas, Midlake has formed to become an amazingly talented indie rock band with influences ranging from Radiohead to Jethro Tull and classic rock. The lead singer, Tim Smith, has much to say about his influences,"We don't want to get called a Radiohead rip-off band. I think Radiohead is a lot closer to my natural tendencies as a songwriter than a band like, um, Jethro Tull. I listen to way more Jethro Tull than I do Radiohead these days, but I could write 10 Radiohead songs before I could write one Jethro Tull song. I want to sound more like Jethro Tull, but I just can't. That's a big struggle."

"Head Home" starts with an intro that reminds me of some opening to a late 1980's television series. Perhaps a "Murder She Wrote" or "Golden Girls" theme alternate? I think this intro kept me from divulging myself into the wonderful Midlake. While "Head Home" is still not one of my favorite songs of theirs, given the chance it is yet another beautiful piece that this band has composed.

I cannot break away from "Young Bride." Do yourself a favor and make sure you listen to this on a good stereo. Laptop speakers do not do this song a justice. The album, The Trials of Van Occupanther (2006) has quite the volume of songs of this nature. The mix of instrumentation and electronic details has set this band to be one of my new favorites and obsessions.

"Roscoe" is another great track. The song almost takes you on a lyrical and musical journey through the 5 minute track. If you get the chance, read the lyrics as you listen to the progression of the song. It's a fun adventure.

"Young Bride" - Midlake

"Roscoe" - Midlake

No comments: