Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Album Alert: Okkervil River's The Stand-Ins



I have to admit, upon first few listens of The Stand-Ins I was dissapointed. I loved The Stage Names and couldn't for the life of me understand why this album, a supposed continuation of the previous, wasn't doing it for me. It was like waking up next to a wife after a year of marriage and questioning my love (or so I would imagine).

Then the answer struck me. I'm taking her for granted.

"Lost Coastlines", for instance, is a gorgeous duet between lead singer Will Sheff and recently departed Jonathan Meiburg (Sidenote: He left for a band called Shearwater who put out one of the best albums of 08 in Rook. Go here and listen to Leviathan Bound for proof).

"Pop Lie" is an upbeat number that has me rocking my numb toes.

"Calling And Not Calling My Ex" is simply an amazing thinking about love lost track to play while stalking ex-girlfriend's on facebook.

What I'm really trying to say is this album is great. And if you were a past fan of this band don't expect to be let down.

Love, TC

P.s. here is a taste of of the new album courtesy of stereogum

Okkervil River - "Lost Coastlines" (Right Click -> Save As)

Edit: The Stand-Ins is slated for release on September 9th

No comments: