Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Concert Review: Mates of State with Judgement Day

I have an unnatural obsession with Mates of State, and this has been going on for about four years now. I have stalked their new tours every couple months to see if they would be playing ANYWHERE near me, and for FOUR years, they hadn't, until this week. I drove to Buffalo with my best girl friend from high school to go see this lively duet. The club where they were playing was in the theater district of downtown, in this small movie-theater-looking building on the second floor. Erase that, office building like place. Anyways, Emily and I took a seat to watch the opener. Never in my entire life have I been so blown away by the mere skill of a band. Judgement Day is a hardcore/metal band that has no vocals, a cellist, violinist, and a drummer. I am definitely not a huge fan of either hardcore or metal, but I honestly could not contain the huge smile on my face during their entire performance. I think the entire crowd was blown away by their talent and the way they manipulated their instruments to create such a different sound. Kori (MoS) actually came to the side of the stage by the audience to watch them perform! I think these are the kind of bands that people need to see right now. Musicians with actual classical talent who are stretching their instruments and breaking away from what is expected in the indie world. Who knew a cellist could rock so hard!?

Now, Mates of State. The crowd finally drifted from the tables to the stage. Their show was everything I expected. A small venue, kids who have a huge appreciation for their music, and a dance party. Although the dance party did not spread farther than Emily, the five kids around us, and I, I still had a great time. They delivered their songs with passion, playing both really new songs (re-arrange us) and oldies like HAHA. They have definitely grown as musicians since their first album Team Boo, and their new set really showed the progression they have taken from a crazy and spastic conglomeration of melodies and instruments to a more toned-down style of music. Judgement Day even came on for about half the set, which added a really cool spin to their music. In all, it was an amazing night, with great music, and my long wait was definitely worth it! And don't worry, as usual, I will inform you all if they come anywhere NEAR the IC area. If you haven't gotten into them yet, you will not be disappointed, they have a distinct sound that I have a hard time trying to describe, and the cutest history to boot. This may leave you wanting to stalk them like I have for the past several years. OK, I'll leave you with their latest video.

Get Better




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are adorable

bright eyed fool said...

Fun factoid about Judgement Day:

I went to a Bright Eyes/The Faint show in Omaha a few years ago. Now, this was immediately following the release of the Faint's album Wet from Birth. If you've ever listened to that album, you'll note some amazing violin work on a few songs (i.e. "Southern Belles in London Sing").

Judgement Day's violinist, the ubertalented Anton Patzner, peformed those parts for the audience, along with Greta Cohn (who was about to leave Cursive) backing him up on cello.


....talk about an amazing sight to see.