Sunday, December 14, 2008

Thoughts on Rolling Stone's Top Singles of 2008

Rolling Stone released their Top 100 Singles of 2008 last week. I feel like I lose faith in Rolling Stone a little more each time I read an issue or their website. I was way disappointed that Beyonce grabbed the number one spot with "Single Ladies", but then the image of Andy Samberg and Justin Timberlake dancing on SNL came to mind and I felt a little better. I was actually extremely surprised to see Blitzen Trapper's "Furr" at #4. Blitzen Trapper is one of favorite bands, but I think #4 is actually too high of a ranking for this track. I couldn't really comprehend Bon Iver's "Skinny Love" being # 88 or Lil Wayne's "A Milli" at #84 (but don't worry, "Lollipop" was #5). My least favorite song of the year, Kid Rock's Lynyrd Skynyrd copying "All Summer Long" was placed at #18 and the equally annoying "I Kissed A Girl" by Katy Perry at #20. It was, however, nice to see Kings of Leon, Conor Oberst, Beck, the Raconteurs, Sam Sparro and My Morning Jacket on the list. But that's just my opinion.

The top ten singles were:
1) Beyonce - "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)"
2) Santogold - "LES Artistes"
3) MGMT - "Time to Pretend"
4) Blitzen Trapper - "Furr"
5) Lil Wayne - "Lollipop"
6) Beck - "Gamma Ray"
7) Estelle feat. Kanye West - "American Boy"
8) Morning Jacket - "I'm Amazed"
9) Coldplay - "Viva la Vida"
10) T.I. - "No Matter What"

Check out the other 90 HERE.

Blitzen Trapper on Conan performing an acoustic version of "Furr." (sorry the picture is terrible)

No comments: