Saturday, December 6, 2008

I'd like to start this one off by saying "Live and love"

So I've been on an incredible Okkervil River kick the past few weeks and feel the need to share them with anyone willing to listen. I know what you are thinking, "But TC, You've written about them twice before! Their new album isn't topping year end lists like you said it would! Plus your title isn't even from their most recent album! You have me all confused." First, I got a little overexcited about The Stand-Ins. It's good but in hindsight a little short and slow (the pace of a few of the songs causes me to turn off the album halfway through). Second, I quoted a song off of their last cd because I stumbled upon a brilliant explanation of the song John Allyn Smith Sails on hypemachine and I just had to pass it along. Third, this band falls into the category of folk and indie (via my roomates definitions) so read no further if said definition excludes you from digging the song. Here is an excerpt:
Sheff’s take on every story is subtle and artful, beautifying the facts with flowering wordplay while still remaining true to the actual events themselves. The epitome of his masterful approach is exhibited in “John Allyn Smith Sails”, the closing track off of 2007’s The Stage Names, and a first person view of the suicide of acclaimed poet John Berryman.
And the rest:
The consequence of sound explains the last track off of Okkervil River's The Stage Names

p.s. the song is at the bottom of the above link. Listen to it while you read the article.

No comments: